Cologne is a city of churches. As in no other German city, twelve large Roman are located in the confined area within the boundaries of the mediaeval city wall. These churches rank among the most important in Western Europe: Groß St. Martin, St. Maria Lyskirchen, St. Severin, St. Kunibert, St. Gereon, St. Pantaleon, St. Maria im Kapitol, St. Aposteln, St. Andreas, St. Ursula, St. Cäcilien and St. Georg. In the smallest and oldest remaining church in Cologne, the "Krieler Dömchen" erected around the year 900, three Carolingian memorial stones from the cemetery tell of a church that previously stood on the same site and was destroyed by the Normans.
City Hall, Hansasaal
The city hall was built in 1330, with the Renaissance arcade (16th century) and tower (15th century) being added later. The building complex suffered extensive damage during the Second World War and underwent reconstruction until 1972. In the foreground the canopy of the Jewish cult bath, the Mikwe (approx. 1170 A.D.).
With the Severinstor, the Eigelsteintor and the Hahnentor, three of the total of twelve city gates from the mediaeval city fortifications (1180 - 1220) have been preserved and are still used today for various purposes. The smaller Ulrepforte and restored sections of the city walls are found along the Sachsenring circular boulevard.
The Romanesque patrician's house was built in the twenties of the 13th Century. A solid wall perpendicular to the road divide the house from the basement to the roof framing in two unequal parts. In the cellar this wall is dissolved by four round arches. 1843 the bourse and the Chamber of Commerce was displaced into this house. Today, the house is used by the Cologne Media College.
Old Town Houses/Fish Market
Town houses (14th - 17th centuries) in and around the Old Market Square and the Martinsviertel (historic centre) with its wonderful Romanesque church, Groß St. Martin (1151-1240), build the impressive panorama. Near the pittoreske fish market Cologne people enjoy the recreation area at the Rhine banks.
The Guerzenich became the representative and dance hall of the citizen of Cologne (15th century). After the renovation in 1997, the Gürzenich with its varied history and dignified overall impression, provides a festive setting for stylish festivities and events ranging from a social occasion to an international congress. The name is derived from its former owner.
The urban arsenal was built between 1594 and 1606 in the style of the Netherlands renaissance. The 23.6 m high stair tower on the west is one of the last one of a whole number of the especial latemedieval towers. Today the "Goldener Vogel " by the Cologne artist HA Schult is now placed up there. Formerly used as a municipal arsenal (1594-1606) the Zeughaus, now houses the .
Photos: dpa, André Hünseler (MSH)